Bagels and Brew – Delicious recipes
– 3 large eggs
– 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
– 1 cup of chopped hazelnuts
– 1 cup of honey
– ¾ cup of dark brown sugar
– ¾ cup of vegetable oil
– ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce
– 2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
– 2 teaspoons of grated lemon rind
– 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
– ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
– ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
– ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
– Lightly a grease a nine-inch square pan, line it with parchment paper or wax paper, and grease the paper.
– Sift together the flour with the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, cloves and ginger.
– Lightly beat the eggs; then add the honey and sugar and beat until the mixture is smooth. Gradually add the vegetable oil and beat until blended. Beat in the grated lemon rind.
– On low speed, beat in the flour mixture alternately in two batches with the applesauce. Stir in the hazelnuts.
– Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
– Bake for one hour.
– Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
– Turn the cake out onto rack and carefully peel off the paper. Cover tightly when completely cool.
– Serve as desired.